Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Family Culture

Today in class we learned about how there are all kinds of different cultures that exist in the world. Each of these cultures that exist are the certain ways that we live our lives, and they are what make us so much different from each other. While discussing the different factors that tie into many people's cultures, I realized that my family has a very distinct culture of its own. In my family there are 5 boys and 1 girl. As you can see, us boys tended to do boy things while there was very few girl things going on. All 5 of us boys grew up playing the same exact sports. Football, baseball, and wrestling. In my family, sports are a very important part of our lives. Our parents encouraged us since we were little to have fun and do the very best we could while playing sports. Our culture was one more of dedication to our family, religion, and sports. Playing sports really brought us all together, because we were always able to relate with each other, and also support one another. It was very uncommon for either of my parents to miss a sporting event. I really believe that the positive encouragement from my parents towards sports was one of the things that kept us mostly out of things we shouldn't be doing. It helped us focus most of our energy on practicing and playing, so that we didn't get into other Our religion has always been extremely important to us as a family, and we were always taught to make it very important in our lives. We were taught to keep the commandments and prepare ourselves to serve missions. This was something which made us very different from all of the rest of the people we knew, because most people in the city we lived in were not members. So it we were always known as the "Mormon" ones. It was nice though to be different than so many people. In my family, we are also very open to talking to each other. While always being able to share thoughts and feelings with my brothers, sisters, and parents, I feel like that was one thing that helped keep us close together as well. In my family, we all know that we love each other, and for this reason we do not really express our love or gratitude to each other; it is almost always expressed through actions to show that we love and care for each other. These are some of the things that have helped us stay so close knit together in my family, and this is just a part of my family culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment